8.03.2010

geography

its been a long while.
way more than awhile.
i've recently been reminded i even have a blog.
i haven't any idea why i'm taking time to write it in, except maybe to inspire myself to get back into it. not for any other reason than myself. it was fantastic to go back and read what i had written, especially about a turbulent time in my life (l.a.), and i want to be able to do that again, a year or so down the road.

la. man. what a place that was. what a longing i have to go back. i learned so much, i had so much fun, i faced so many struggles, i grew up. i really, really grew up.

that place taught me a lot. and it didn't chew me up and spit me out like i thought it would. instead, it wined and dined me, courted me endlessly, convinced me to fall in love, sent my heart aflutter and my head spinning, and blew me kisses as a boarded a plan to return to the east coast. i'm in love with that city--with its traffic jams, with its awesome radio, with its strip malls on every corner, with its palm trees and beaches, its incredibly hot days and chilly nights, its hot dogs, its lights, its glamour, its skankiness. i'm in love, and i miss it terribly. i can't wait to go back, whether its for a weekend, a month, or a lifetime. (hopefully not a lifetime, i don't think our relationship is one for eternity.. just for a long season)

but it's a terrible feeling at the same time. because while i'm head over heels for the city of angeles, our relationship is also not monogomous. i've got two more cities on the side--i'm in love with lexington and pittsburgh as well. those two places have my heart, quite fully. (as fully as it can be given, with it being split three ways)

pittsburgh, of course, will always be my home. born and raised, my loyalty to the steel city runs deep. its like my veins and arteries are carrying black and gold blood throughout my body. its in me. it can't go anywhere.
lexington... my second real home. this place has got its beautifully landscaped hand around my heart and refuses to let go. its got me.
los angeles. it has the rest of me.

i'm hopelessly in love with these places, these cities.

No comments: